Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Case of the Little Pile of Stuff

In the last few days I have been able to do a little detective work. On Thursday morning I noticed in my bathroom that there were quite a few little brown oval shaped things scattered about on my floor. I mopped them up with a kleenex and on closer inspection I thought they looked like little eggs or spores. Interesting.

My curiosity peeked, that day at school I looked up some information on fleas. Now I have grown up with cats and have never seen this stuff, but I thought it was worth a shot. I came to the conclusion that I did not think they were flea eggs and forgot about it until I got home that night.

Later that evening I went into my bathroom and there on my bathroom floor was a perfectly round pile of these little brown things. It was a perfect circle. You know, I don't really think normally about how your brain just kind of knows when something is designed by a living thing and when it's not based on what it looks like, but I knew this didn't look random.

Now let's have a look into the mind of Wendy. I am toying with all sorts of fascinating ideas. I think "I should have been on CSI."
I look up. No hole in the ceiling. I look around, nothing close enough. I flush the toilet, just in case. I open cabinet doors to see it they reach over the little pile, but no. I think about our vent on the ceiling again. Not positioned right. Well maybe when the heater comes on something is living in there and these little things get blown onto the floor. Yeah, in a perfectly round circle. I am ready to check the wind circulation in our bathroom to see if it can swirl little brown things into a perfect circle. OK, maybe not. Hmmm....... the cat. Maybe the cat brought them in. OK, if he did maybe he was cleaning himself and they fell off. But they would be scattered so he would have had to spin while cleaning himself while his fur brushed them into a circular shape. (I am not lying, the thought entered my mind) OK, best one I can come up with. Myself, or my cat, have been tracking in some sort of spores from a plant outside. This plant has round puffs that the spores come on and then over the course of the day they crumbled into a perfect little pile. CSI here I come. Brilliant!

I show Jeff the fascinating little pile when he gets home. His idea, "mold". Ha! Not even close to the brilliant mind of Wendy. Of course I did now have to consider the possibility, just in case. As a CSI agent I can't throw out any idea until the evidence itself doesn't support it, especially when it is from an agent in the same department.

I mop them up again with a tissue, making sure to look at the tile to see if there is anything underneath making this mess. Nope, I can't see anything. Well I decide even a CSI agent has to sleep sometimes when a case is not solved so off to bed I go.

The next morning refreshed I get up and hop in the shower. I totally forget about the case until I step out and look down. The perfect little pile is back in the same exact spot. OK, what is going on. All of my theories are basically thrown out the window. Again I consult the only CSI department member on shift at that time. "Jeff, the pile is back! Any other ideas?" Jeff replies, "mold" again. Hmmm... I don't know.

I enter the bathroom and lean down close to the pile. I need a magnifying glass, but that tool is at school. Al, my cat, comes up behind me and startles me making me jump. I'm letting the case get to me, but I know that now I can't let it go until it is solved.

OK, it is in the same exact spot. I decide to mop up the spores/eggs whatever they are again and look underneath. Before I do this I make sure to take a photo of the scene. All CSI agents are trained to do this before messing with evidence.

I concentrate on that spot as I sweep the pile away again. Wait! What is this, a pin size black hole not much bigger than one of the little brown things is exposed. This is the best lead I have had yet. I go and tell Jeff about the break though in the case, do something else, come back and look. Five more brown things are around the little hole. I mop them up and wait quietly watching the hole for movement. In under a minute I see something. A little brown spore is slowly poked up through the hole and lands on it's side. Another follows it.

We had to take a friend to the airport yesterday and we were running late already so I had to leave. When I got home the pile was there again and then again this morning. I have looked up termites, but I don't know. I didn't see anything that looked like this. I am going to spray the hole to try to kill whatever it is because it is making a mess, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas what it might be???

Maybe this case has taught me that sometimes you come to a point where you just have to let go.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Ms. CSI agent, I guess you just needed to ask advise from another CSI Department.
You have Termites!!!!!! under your floor.
The little spores poked back up through the hole are actually the turds after the wood is digested.
Call me if you need further information.
Love you, MOM

1:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

i hate that it says i deleted the previous comment. but anyway. i love this episode. and it looks like termite turd to me too.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Chris Steele said...

I would have to agree. Time to call your local Terminix.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

You are hilarious, absolutely hilarious. I laughed my way through the entire thing thinking of myself in the same situation. I was on the edge of my seat, and I have to say that if I didn't see a quite likely reason for the pile, I might have ditched work and started driving north to play detective with you. Intriguing!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. You have WAY WAY too much time on your hands. :)

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home