Saturday, March 17, 2007

On my mind

Sara Budd had a post that kind of brought up something that has been bugging me lately. The main thing is how wasteful of money I am and how that money could mean so much more to someone else somewhere else. Like when I buy a frappacino and scone from Starbucks and I think, wow, that $5 could have fed someone for a couple of weeks in another country and how wasteful I am being. When I tell that to people they say I am basically exaggerating and I can't really look at it like that, but I don't know. If we all looked at it like that and started giving more of what we waste on extra stuff it seems like the world would be a better place. Am I thinking of this wrong. Because then I think, well what about the Europe vacation Jeff and I took. Couldn't those thousands of dollars been used to help people somewhere and been worth so much more? I feel like if I am right then everyone should just feel guilty all of the time because we all spend money on stuff that we don't need. Thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Steele said...

That is a tough one...I don't think that God wants us to feel guilty all of the time. I think He wants to bless us. And I also think he wants us to be wise with what he gives us. I bet more came out of your vacation than just frivolity and waste--I mean, it probably enriched your marriage, etc. So I think we can all do better with managing our money, but I don't think we should feel overwhelming guilt every time we go to Starbucks or go on vacation.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been thinking the same things as you Wendy, but I think Chris has a good point with the guilt part (although I am pretty much an atheist). But yeah, we have a lot of money and it could do a LOT of good. I kind of think that guilt can tend to paralyze me at least instead of helping me move in a better direction. So I say, why not enjoy the things we enjoy and be grateful for them, but for me at least, when I think of the big picture, I'm starting to feel like I might enjoy it more to be more careful with my money and spend it in ways that do more good for other people. Not just because of guilt, but also because it might be more deeply satisfying. I would like to connect - to have my money flow be more about love.

I hope this is not too obnoxious of a comment. I've been thinking along similar lines lately, and I had pent up words that wanted to come out!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

i second what jill said. :)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Chris, I like what you said about God wanting to bless us but wanting us to be wise about our money.

Jill, I liked what you said about using our money better not because of guilt, but because it is ultimately more satisfying especially if done out of love.

I think that God wants us happy and to enjoy life, but at the same time wants us to care for what he has given us and use it wisely. I think that maybe it has been on my mind because I don't think that I am using what God has given me how I think he would best want me to. I need to rethink how much I give to those in need and pray about it. I think that if I am giving what I think God wants me to give then I wouldn't have this issue on my mind.

Thanks for the thoughts. Anyone else?

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home