Thursday, May 25, 2006

Open House

Last night was open house at my school. It went well but I was really tired at the end of the night.

After school yesterday I helped set up a booth run by our Campus Life kids and Jeff. After that I went home and changed into clothes that were a little nicer. I got back in time to eat dinner at the school and rub shoulders with some of the parents and a few students from the past.

The parents during the open house were really nice. It was encouraging to hear good things from them about how their child likes my class or they think I am doing a good job. I know they probably wouldn't say if they didn't think I was doing a good job, but they seemed really genuine so I felt good about that.

I put out some stuff on the desks for people to look at or try and more people than usual actually took the time to look at or try them. It is fun to see the kids and parents interesting in what I am teaching in class.

After that I had a meeting for parents who wanted more information about the sex ed. unit I am going to be starting next week. I was suprised that out of 150 students 4 parents actually came to the meeting. Last year I didn't have any come to the meeting and most years I only get one or two parents that care to hear about the sex ed. curriculum. I think I got more parents because I planned the meeting for right after the open house. The meeting went well and none of the parents got mad at me for teaching about sex ed. (Always a good thing)

When I got home I watched about 20 minutes of TV and couldn't keep my eyes open so I went to bed at 9:30 pm. Zzzzzzz.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Steele said...

Yuck--why are you having an open house so late in the year?! It did sound like a good & productive night, though. And you gave me another reason to be glad I'm teaching English--no sex ed!!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I just can't believe that only 4 parentals showed and that you had none before that! Maybe it's that they trust you!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home