Friday, January 23, 2009

Hmmm....

So I have tried very hard with Micah to prepare him to have the "talk" about Al. Micah got to say goodbye to Al at the vet but when he has asked where Al was I had told him that Al was staying at the doctor because he was sick. In the last couple weeks I talked with Micah about how things die, like plants and even animals in order to prepare him. Micah helps me throw away parts of plants that turn brown and die. Micah was even asking about where certain foods came from and I had told him that different meats come from animals that die like beef or ham. After a couple weeks of distance from Al I thought that if Micah brought up Al again I would gently let him know that Al had died but we still had pictures and our minds to remember him so we didn't have to be sad. This is how the conversation went.

Me: Cats have been pooping in the dirt in our yard.
Micah: Yes, but not Al. Al is a good cat.
Me: Yes, Micah I want to talk to you about Al. Do you know what happened to Al?
Micah: Al's sick. He is at the doctor.
Me: Yes, but I want to tell you that Al didn't get better and he died. But we can still remember him and we have pictures of him too.
Micah: Al died?
Me: Yeah.
Micah: (Looking not upset at all) Eat Al?
Me: No, no, no. (I start laughing)

Obviously I way over analyzed the situation. : )

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Oh my gosh, I laughed out loud. I've got to tell Jake. :)

9:40 PM  
Blogger Hart's Haven said...

That is really hilarious!!!!
Love you Mom

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home