Monday, June 19, 2006

Labor and Delivery Class

Jeff and I had our labor and delivery class on Saturday. Not a whole lot of fun, but I think it helped us to feel more ready. I guess class or no class the baby is going to come out. My two favorite questions/stories of the day were. 1. I heard you can be paralyzed from the waist down during an epidural. (good to know since I am planning on an epidural) 2. My friend had an epidural and couldn't feel anything so when the nurse left and the husband was busy talking to his wife the baby fell out and hit the floor. What are the chances of that happening?

The best part of the class I thought was the CHP officer who came in to show us the correct installation for the child seats. I thought that was a good idea to include. We brought the camera, but I felt a little funny taking pictures. I wish I had snuck in one picture of all of the fat/pregnant women on the ground squishing their husbands behind them who couldn't say anything about it because they would look unloving. Hee hee. It was good revenge though because the evil lady leading the class gave the husbands clothes pins to pinch us with as pretend contractions. I don't think I needed to practice. I know it will hurt like crazy, but she did get the point across that it really helped to focus on somthing besides that pain so I guess that was good. She also had us hold an icecube in our hands for a minute or a minute and a half. It really hurt. The sad thing is that the contractions will hurt a lot more. Good times.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Steele said...

That does sound like an interesting class. Jon and I skipped ours on the advice of two couples, and it sounds like you covered the highlights for us. Although I may not try the ice cube or clothespin thing. I do plan on swinging by the state trooper's office with my carseat, though (they check for free down here).

3:44 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

How strange, I wonder if all hospitals do something like that.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Lonnie said...

Happy Birthday.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

that does sound strange. and mean. why practice pain i wonder?

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home